Date: Wednesday, 2 June 2021
Time: 1.00pm – 2.30pm BST (2.00pm – 3.30pm CEST) (8.00pm – 9.30pm SGT)
Venue: WebinarWATCH RECORDING
In June 2021, the ILC Global Alliance Gender and Ageing committee held a discussion on how gender impacts on health and wellbeing in an ageing world.
The Gender and Ageing committee, established last year by the ILC Global Alliance Board, aims to provide a platform to better understand the intersection between gender and ageing and its implications for policymakers around the world.
Gender informs all aspects of ageing, from health and care to work and pensions, and its impact can be felt right throughout the life course. This webinar began the conversation on gender and ageing and how the two intersect to impact our health and wellbeing.
Watch the recording above to hear from from speakers from Israel, Australia, Singapore, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands as they share their country perspectives on gender and health, both during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond:
- What learnings can be applied elsewhere?
- What does this mean for healthy ageing strategies going forward?
- Which areas should the Gender and Ageing committee focus on over the next year?
- Dr Mary Ann Tsao, Co-President, ILC Global Alliance
- Sara Carmel: President, ILC Israel (keynote)
- Susana Harding: Director, ILC Singapore
- Dr Sebastiana Kalula: Co-President, ILC South Africa
- Prof Elena Bendien: President, ILC Netherlands
- Liam Hanson: Communications and Engagement Officer, ILC UK
- Prof Julie Byles: President, ILC Australia
Verburgh M, Verdonk P, Appelman Y, Brood-van Zanten M, Nieuwenhuijsen K. “I Get That Spirit in Me”-Mentally Empowering Workplace Health Promotion for Female Workers in Low-Paid Jobs during Menopause and Midlife. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Sep 4;17(18):6462. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17186462. PMID: 32899848; PMCID: PMC7558098.
Duijs, S. E., Haremaker, A., Bourik, Z., Abma, T. A., & Verdonk, P. (2021). Pushed to the Margins and Stretched to the Limit: Experiences of Freelance Eldercare Workers During the Covid-19 Pandemic in the Netherlands. Feminist Economics, 27(1-2), 217-235. DOI: 10.1080/13545701.2020.1845389
Vogel, B., Acevedo, M., Appelman, Y., Merz, C. N. B., Chieffo, A., Figtree, G. A., … & Mehran, R. (2021). The Lancet women and cardiovascular disease Commission: reducing the global burden by 2030. The Lancet. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(21)00684-X
Bendien, E., Groot, B., & Abma, T. (2020). Circles of impacts within and beyond participatory action research with older people. Ageing & Society, 1-21. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X20001336